My Photo
Name:
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska, United States

Saturday, December 10, 2005

I think T has become a teen in just a period of days....or at least developed the sleeping habits of one. He was up until nearly 3:30AM this morning and woke up at 11:30AM and only because I ventured downstairs and disturbed him. I'm wondering if I should just let this go and see how it develops (is it just a stage he's going through?) or if I should try to "force" him to sleep? Right now I've been pretty lax...allowing him to read, listen to his audiobooks, and even watch a movie. I think if I make him stay in his darkened room, it will just stress him out more and make his insomnia (or whatever it is) even worse.

I signed T up to play at the CDC for a few hours today. They were having a "Parents Shopping Day" this afternoon. I thought this would be a great opportunity for T and I to have a bit of time away from eachother. I could do some last minute Christmas shopping, while he had a chance to place with some other kids. Although it was supposed to last for four hours, I picked T up after only 2 1/2 hours -- I was bored! I milled around a few businesses but couldn't keep myself occupied for the entire time. I did, however, find another copy of "The Phantom Menace" which I lost at the theater yesterday. When I picked up T he was teaching three other boys how to play the card game "Cheat." LOL

When we arrived home, T went to see if a friend could play. The friend's mom, however, was babysitting. T said it was ok his friend couldn't play since the boy had "more important things to do" by helping his mom. It's crazy how this kid can fly off the handle at some of the smallest things (at least in my mind) but can come up with the most mature thoughts at times. T spent the rest of the afternoon playing on Neopets -- opening a few shops of his own and reading a neopets comic.

Tonight we made stage one of Turkish Delight. Once we mixed all the ingredients together, T ran from the room feigning illness, since the concoction had a nasty, yellow gelatinous look. I had hoped to tint it red, but it instead came out more bubblegum pink. We'll let it harden overnight, and tomorrow we will cut it into pieces and then roll them in powdered sugar.


T spent some time watching bits and pieces of "The Mummy Returns" extra footage. He is really into the making of the movies, especially when it comes to the visual effects. Now whenever he sees footage of Imhotep (the Mummy) he refers to him in stages...."oh, Mom, he's in Stage 2 in that scene!" or "I think there he is in Stage 4."

I found a skull hologram pendant at Hallmark a few weeks before Halloween. I had meant to give it to T but misplaced it shortly after I bought it. Wouldn't you know that I found it this evening. T was thrilled and has dubbed it his "Pendant of Death." He asked me how holograms are made, and I didn't have a clue. So, we looked up the answer in "The Handy Physics Answer Book" I found at Gullivers a few weeks ago. On the back cover it lists several sample questions, including "why is it dangerous to look at a solar eclipse?" Looking up this answer led to a discussion on pinhole cameras and how to make them and then the difference between solar and lunar eclipses.


During our evening walk with Jazzie, T contemplated the rationale behind the "Book of the Dead" and the "Book of Life" in the two Mummy movies. In the movies, the "Book of the Dead" is used to bring people back to life, while the "Book of Life" takes life away. Both T and I think it would make more sense to switch those around (death brings about death, life begets life). So we talked....and talked....and talked some more about this subject.

Right now T is hunkered down in bed under his new reading lamp. I'm hoping he'll read until he falls asleep. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home