My Photo
Name:
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska, United States

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

We're moving....again....

Oh the timing couldn't be worse....with Jody in Iraq and Tristan and I heading out next week to San Antonio and then the L&L Conference. Less than a week after we get home, the movers will be here. Thankfully we are only having to move to another location on post. I couldn't fathom moving back down to the Lower 48 by myself...driving the AlCan with Tristan and two dogs?? Uh no...not gonna happen!

Right now I feel like I'm running on empty and am beyond exhausted. I'm trying to get as much done as possible before we leave next week...tearing down our fence, working in the yard, conducting minor repairs in the house, and the list goes on and on and keeps growing by the minute. Of course, this being military housing, we have to do all sorts of things...attend briefings, have the house undergo several inspections, etc etc etc... Gawd, I can't wait to be finished with all the military BS once and for all.

I officially signed for our new house (aka "quarters" in military lingo) on Monday and was so depressed when we drove by our new place. It is old and institutional-looking from the outside, and butts right up with a number of other units. Our current place is so homey, and we have an awesome little backyard that backs up into a grove of trees. Not a tree in sight at our new place. Just writing that depresses me. I really need that connection to nature. Thankfully, I think I spotted a bikepath not far from our place that leads to some meadows...hopefully a forested area isn't too far off.... Ah well, we'll make the best of the situation. There are a few huge parks right by our new place, which immediately sold Tristan on the idea of moving. As far as the house, we'll do what we can to make the place "ours" and Jody will be home in a few more months. That is what is most important right now.

To add insult to injury I found out that we won the Denali Lottery, where we would have been able to drive the entire road in Denali National Park (usually only the park buses are allowed on the road). Without Jody here...and our designated day falling right between when we return from our trip and when we move...we don't plan on going. I gave our ticket to someone I know who had entered but didn't win; I'm glad it won't go to waste.